Skip to main content

The year of the helmet.




We never actually noticed that Myahs head was shaped weird. We started physical therapy and her therapist noticed that it was a little flat in the back. We asked her pediatrician if it looked ok and she looked at some X-rays that she had done and said that everything looked fine. We went back to her physical therapist a couple of times and she mentioned it again and she asked us if we wanted to get a second opinion and she could refer us to a clinic to get her scanned and see if she actually needed a helmet or not. We agreed to check it out and see if she needed it or not,  we were informed that the longer she you wait the longer they will need to wear there helmet. We tried to get her in as quick as possible but the first appointment was more than a month out. We got her appointment set up and we patiently waited  for her appointment. It was the day of her appointment and i was very emotional because i felt like she did need a helmet and just didn't want her to wear a helmet. I was hoping that they would say she was good and did not need one. Myah got her first scan and it was confirmed that she would indeed need a helmet because she had brachycephaly which is also known as flattening of the back of the head. I was pretty upset about the fact that she did a helmet but knew that this was only temporary and it would eventually come off. I eventually got over the fact that she has to wear a helmet, i thought  of ways that we could jazz up her helmet and make it fit her personality more. I started to look through instagram and see if i found any shops that did helmet decals. 
We got Myahs helmet March 30th 2017 she wore it for one day and got sick so we decided it was best to keep it off since she was feeling hot. Around that same time Myah was admitted into the hospital because she tested positive for rsv. She was in the hospital and stayed for three days so in that time she was not wearing her helmet. We felt comfortable enough to put her helmet on three days after she was released from the hospital. She then wore her helmet for one hour on and one hour off and had it off for naps. We did this for a week gradually adding hours were she wore her helmet. By the seventh day she was wearing her helmet 23 hours out of the day and had her helmet off for one hour a day, we took advantage of the hour she had it off and made sure we cleaned her helmet and gave her a shower. We made sure to clean her helmet on a daily basis because if we missed just one day it would smell horrible! If you have ever had your child in a helmet you know what i mean! Myah had check up appointments every two -three weeks. After the first couple appointments it got pretty exhausting having to go for a check up to see how much her head grew or even if it rounded out more. Just to go to her appointment was a 30-40 minute drive. We got tired of having to drive all that far, for just a ten to fifteen minute appointment. After the first couple weeks the appointments changed to ever four weeks or so, that made it so much easier. 
We met a lovely mom named Jillian who also had a little girl who also wore a helmet. At the time her daughter received her helmet her mom was told she was able to get her daughters helmet painted, after researching she found that it was way to expensive and wanted to come up with a more affordable way to decorate her helmet. Jillian Played around with ways to create helmet decals and make it more affordable for other parents going through the same thing. Jillian launched a wonderful little shop called     babbleworthy. ( https://itsbabbleworthy.com ) find them on instagram www.instagram.com/babbleworthy/ her shop truly helped us with our experience. Her decals made our experience fun i loved how easy they were to put on! If you know anyone who is in a helmet or about to get a helmet make sure you let them know about babbleworthy! Such a great shop. We loved working with her! Make sure you check out all of our helmet designs in our pictures above! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How we found out Myah would most likely have Down Syndrome

When we were 12 weeks pregnant we had an ultrasound done. The doctor came in and also gave me an ultrasound which i found weird because doctors don't normally do ultrasounds. Once he was finished he said that baby showed some markers of having Down Syndrome and that i should get tested for it. We had already decided prior to this day that we did not want any testing done we would love our baby regardless. Well we were scared so we agreed to have a blood test done. I got a phone call about a week later from a nurse who worked at the hospital. She informed me that my blood test came back that my baby had a 100% chance of having Down Syndrome. I was so confused, how could just a simple blood test tell you this. The nurse had asked me four times, yes four times if i wanted to terminate my pregnancy. Of course i said no. She asked me if i wanted to get an amniocentesis done i said no but that we would need to talk about it. We opted out on having the amniocentesis done because of the m

Our crazy weekends

Angelica and i both work on the weekends so it gets pretty hard. Our day starts off with waking up around 7:30-8:30 am we brush our teeth and Myahs teeth and head to the living room. I turn on our projector and put on either YouTube learning videos or of course her favorite movie Moana. Myah watches tv while i make coffee and breakfast. After breakfast I usually get Myah dressed for the day. We just relax until its time for me to go into work. At 11am i try to see if Myah is interested in nursing and if she is i will nurse her. Around 11:15am i start to  get my lunch packed and get myself dressed to go into work, I work from noon until 8pm.  Before i leave for work i try to put Myah down for her first nap. We don't put Myah in daycare so I'm either with her or Angelica is, we work around each others work schedule to make it happen. Myah will wake up from her nap after about an hour to an hour and a half. Angelica will feed her lunch and clean her up and put in the living ro

Sweetie pie organics review

Since I had successfully breastfed my first daughter when I got pregnant with our second daughter I knew I wanted to breastfeed without a doubt. Little did I know that this journey would be different than my first.  With our first daughter she was in the nicu and had latching issues, for the first two months of her life I pumped around the clock. I was up every three hours even though the night. With me being dedicated like I was I grew to have a have an over supply which was great but also very hard to control. At two months she finally latched onto the breast but because of my over supply I have a very fast let down which would cause more issues with her feeding. After having her lip and tongue clipped she was able to be fully breastfed on the breast at four months old and she went on to nurse until she was two and a half years old.  My second latched on right away and nursed like a champ. In the beginning I was up pumping as much as I could because I was afraid of getting clogs as I